At Hill Holliday, we help our clients fight the daily share battle by swinging hard and fighting smart. We stay laser-focused on the most important part of the equation: the idea. Nothing beats a good one. And every day we come to work to think of more of them into existence to help our clients dominate the noisiest of categories.
We also know that work is about more than just, well, work. It’s also about the people. And we find that when we let those people do their thing – their curious, tenacious, scrappy, be-happy thing – what results is innovative thinking that wins.
The Business Affairs team handles – you guessed it – the business end of things. They assure that the creative vision of the agency and the needs of our clients are met by handling all things production. They’re skilled at managing SAG-AFTRA, celebrity and music rights, intellectual property concerns, or virtually anything else a project throws at them. They are a team player who can work with producers, account, creatives, and media alike. They ensure our clients (and the agency) are protected for every opportunity we seize or challenge we face. Nothing like working with lawyers to keep more lawyers off our back.
As an Associate Director - Business Affairs, you will:
- Strong mentorship qualities to help educate all levels of employees on matters related to Business Affairs
- Work Closely with Finance to ensure proper management of budgets and cash flow as well as vendor set up/payment process.
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents
- Review all Creative prior to client presentation and during various stages of production & flag legal risk
- Review issues with attorneys or other industry professionals, discuss risk assessments and possible solutions
- Conduct initial cursory knockout trademark/IP searches for proposed taglines, branding, design, etc.
- Prepare, review and sign production contracts.
- Manage the execution of all production required documents for your projects (casting specs, booking confirmations, contracts (union & non union), location release, insurance, session reports, completion reports, etc)
- Handle talent booking & negotiations, Union (SAG-AFTRA) & Non-Union - as well as term renewals.
- Experience working with US and foreign productions'
- Conduct celebrity research, negotiations and contract executions
- Conduct music research & licensing
- Handle 3rd party rights & clearances – IP, Stock, Props, Wardrobe, etc.
- Strong knowledge of SAG-AFTRA, its various contracts and waivers, including the ability to execute T&R estimates, resolve SAG/AFTRA union claims & manage SAG-AFTRA Audits.
- Pay AFM sessions, provide ASCAP/BMI royalty info when necessary
- Assist producers in pre-production paperwork such as talent ballparks, estimates, bid specs,
- Maintain complete digital job files containing contracts, specs, bids, schedules, P.O.’s, overages, invoices, releases, licenses, etc.'
- Actualize and close jobs
- Manage, track, and organize all assets (photo, video, music) for the Agency and ensure licensing is in line with client/agency MSA
- Experience working on a production during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A critical thinker, process driven, pro-active minded and solution oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Strong communication and attention to detail. Desire to implement and improve processes.
- Ability to manage multiple, diverse team members and support them in their development of goals. Encourages and
- facilitates learning and growth of others.
- Takes accountability and drives the team to do their best work.
- Ability to own a room during a presentation.
- Ability to manage up, down and across.
- Can lead on-boarding, training and development for junior team members and other teams.
- Can lead meetings with confidence.
- Key driver in ensuring cross department and team collaboration.
- Can flex between managing the team, and being a collaborative member of the team.
- Strive to positively influence peer group and cross functional team members
- Creates opportunities for junior team members to get involved in projects, events and offerings that will help them
- stretch and grow
Accountability for Results
- Understands complete scope and team responsibilities and manages hours and resources to get work done.
- Experience developing and communicating ingenious strategies in how the team meets goals and delivers work.
- Ensures team members take accountability for on-time and on budget quality execution.
- Ability to provide leadership to the team and is a responsible steward of deliverables.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Advocate for diverse perspectives
- Hunger to learn more about diversity and inclusion
- Foster and promote inclusivity with agency
- Manage Team to prioritize and produce inclusive work/culture
- 8+ years’ experience in advertising or production
- Experience managing and mentoring junior employees