About Hill Holliday Health: We are 125 hungry, humble, healthcare-obsessed humans in both New York and Boston, focused on helping people fight their daily battle for better health. Whether it is highly targeted digital work for rare diseases or big multi-channel DTC campaigns, no challenge is ever too big, or too small. Our clients include Novartis, Alcon, Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen division, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, and ALK Pharmaceuticals. To learn about Hill Holliday Health, please visit .
The Senior Medical Editor is responsible for the editorial integrity of all pieces developed and produced by our medical communications agency. This position ensures all pieces are factually and grammatically flawless and that they comply with AMA style, client style, and FDA rules and regulations. The Senior Medical Editor contributes the fullest extent of their knowledge and understanding toward maintaining the highest levels of quality control. The role requires deep understanding of our clients’ products (mechanisms, clinical data, competitive differentiators), the conditions they treat (disease mechanisms, epidemiology, standards of care), and relevant prescriber details (practice behaviors, prescribing decisions and trends).
The ideal candidates would have 8+ years of agency experience with strong experience in the pharmaceutical advertising space. To be considered for this position you must possess the ability to manage multiple projects, be client-facing and have a full understanding of the agency process for digital, broadcast and print projects. The position will interact internally with client service, strategic planning, and creative staff, and with clients as required. The successful candidate will be equally comfortable training junior agency staff on product mechanisms, interacting with client Medical Affairs on relevance of clinical data.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Edits initial round of jobs for all assigned accounts for content as well as for AMA style, client style, FDA rules and regulations, grammar, spelling, consistency within the piece and among related pieces within a campaign
- Fact-checks initial round of jobs and subsequent rounds as necessary (has the ability to understand scientific and medical data to ensure copy accurately represents the source from which it was taken)
- Provide medical and scientific direction for specific projects, including identification of relevant data sets and recommendations on both copy and visual representations of data to ensures the quality of format and visual quality of layout
- Performs all editorial reviews (i.e., initial full-edit through release), including copyedits, fact-checks, and check changes at designated times in the job life cycle
- Creates and maintains comprehensive style guides for all assigned accounts
- Ensure that projects are technically accurate, audience appropriate, and meet stated objectives.
- Research and develop outlines and select references appropriate for a project.
- Learn to review content not just for accuracy but to determine if it is in line with product strategy.
- Participate in medically-relevant client interactions.
- Help guide copywriters (and medical writers for medical education) when developing high science content, determine adequacy of references, participate in team meetings, manage workflow; deliver work that is detailed, accurate and consistently on target.
- Help develop stimuli for market research and attend market research when feasible.
- Establishes solid working relationships with all internal brand team and department members
- Maintain expert understanding of clients’ product approved Prescribing Information, as well as those from relevant competitive medication
- Monitor relevant disease categories for ongoing publications or updates to labeling
- Identify trends and insights within assigned disease categories, providing regular updates to internal staff and clients
- Leverage understanding of client products and disease categories into a clinical perspective for account planning activity
- Management experience beyond one’s self. Understands the value of developing others and guiding junior team members by providing constructive feedback.
- Excellent management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to prioritize work, manage through change and help support junior team members through change.
- Plays a lead role in team and client meetings.
- Strong leadership, communications, organization and negotiation skills.
- Diplomatically manages feedback from various team members and perspectives.
- Strong communication skills to ensure team has what is needed to be successful.
- Enjoys working with different people who bring new ideas to the table.
- Motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Strong understanding of agency departments/capabilities.
Accountability for Results
- Experience managing projects and deliverables with little oversight.
- Strong Pharma expertise and knowledgeable about the Regulatory Committee (RC) submissions.
- Ingenuity that provides new thinking and ideas for the team to deliver great work.
- Solution oriented with a flexible work approach.
- Works well under pressure and consistently delivers high quality work, on time and under budget.
- 8-10 years of experience in a healthcare communications agency or pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Experience translating scientific or clinical data into presentation formats.